Employability support for students
Students and recent graduates from host institutions have access to AA2A employability support. Nearly all our hosts are on our 'Enhanced' Employability package which includes a talk on Self-employment (more detailed info) with evaluation feedback and follow up notes for staff and students. We also liaise with Careers staff on appropriate support for self-employed 'Creatives'
Presentation on Self-employment for students and graduates
The talk shows students why this career and lifestyle choice might work for them and busts the myth that only the most self-motivated graduates are capable of being self-employed. It covers...
- What Self-employment is... and isn't!
- How to 'Register' and deal with the finances
- The 'safety-net' benefits available
- Tax and National Insurance
- Where to get support and advice
Last year 92% said they were more likely to register as self-employed once they'd heard the presentation. Here's what some of the feedback from students...
- “Brilliant, clear, simple, with all the scary bits explained”
- “Very informative! Should be compulsory on all BA Art courses”
- “Excellent insight into processes, benefits, support available, many thanks”
- “Great clarification, interesting information, motivating"
AA2A's digital publication
Students at all our host institutions also have free access to 'Making it out there' which provides essential career development information, including information on self-employment, in an easy to read format. It has over 100 embedded links and suggestions of easy things to do to get started in the artworld. For institutions on our Enhanced package, this includes an appendix listing local arts and business support organisations