AA2A for graduates
Information for students and graduates
If you're in your last year at University or College, you will be eligible to apply for an AA2A placement a year after you finish studying (unless you're completing an MA or PHD and already have a year of professional practice). You can apply to any of the AA2A schemes around the country. For full details about eligibility see how to apply
Here are some of the benefits the scheme can offer:
- Geographical coverage - we expect to have at least 12 host schemes running in England in 2021-22, so even if you move away after graduating just check our map to find your nearest schemes. You can apply to more than one institution. The prospective list of hosts for the following year is usually available from early June.
- Peer support - each participating institution usually offers places to four artists or makers, so it's a great way to meet other artists, who may have many years of experience and contacts in the local arts scene.
- Access to specialist facilities - that you may not normally be able to use or afford. Typical supporting facilities available include college workshops, lending libraries, access to lecture programmes, IT equipment, life rooms, etc.
- Time - each artist/maker is allowed at least 100 hours access, which can used between October and April/May (some schemes extend these hours and the scheme length)
- Webpages and promotion - each artist and AA2A Student Rep has a webpage in our networking area to blog and upload. Many colleges also offer exhibitions as part of their scheme. We also choose an image as Pic of the Week on our Facebook, Twitter and Instagram pages.
- AA2A 'Graduate' pack available - 'Making it out there', our digital pack aimed at students, graduates and artists will introduce you to the key UK arts organisations. View sample pages. With over 100 embedded links it's designed so you can check out websites as you read. Its free for all students and graduates from participating institutions. If you don't qualify for a free copy, you can buy it online for £5.95
If you can find the time to talk to an AA2A artist, they have a wealth of experience and can offer advice on life after graduation, e.g. finding a studio, building a website, exhibitions... etc.