Applying to host an AA2A scheme
AA2A is a well respected and long running project which allows Higher and Further Education institutions to host at least four placements for artists and/or designer makers between October and April each year. AA2A artists work alongside students giving career examples of working artists and provide contact with the external arts community - more about AA2A
When institutions are accepted to host an AA2A scheme, they can sign up for one of two Employability packages, which are an integral part of the schemes. Below, we outline how the package and the artists can be used to support the employability agenda and enhance the student experience.
NB: The costs of both packages include four artists' placements as well as access to AA2A's Support fund for artists on low income or with disabilities. Extra visual artists and designer-maker places can be added within the 'school / dept' for £175 each and others e.g. non-visual artists such as writers or musicians for £350. Our FAQs for hosts gives more detail
Option 1.Enhanced Employability package - £1,400 *
A package aimed at encouraging students to consider self-employment as a career, including...
- a two hour self-employment presentation for students
- students who attend are emailed individually with supporting notes
- we collate and provide you with, your students evaluation feedback
- we provide you with the information and AA2A Skype support, to run a follow-up session so graduating students can register as self-employed
Your artists placements and supporting areasWe provide all the (digital) paperwork and advice needed to manage your scheme, as well as websites and Support fund management.
- each AA2A artist can be asked to do up to three unpaid sessions (e.g. talks, technical demonstrations) for students
- your Artists and AA2A Student Reps get web profiles on our website
- we run optional prize 'Challenges' and paid opportunities for your two nominated AA2A Student Reps
- Our host institutions also get two free places for our 'Briefing Days'
Access to AA2A's Engage student visits'AA2A Engage' is our national database of past AA2A artists prepared to support your employability agenda by hosting group students visits e.g...
- showing student round their own, or local group studios
- talking about the practicalities of self-employment
- accompanying students to events e.g. private views, Open studios
AA2A digital pack 'Making it out there'This promotes self-employment and visual arts careers. It includes information on your local arts organisations. Preview sample pages The pack can be...
- used to support the curriculum and uploaded to your virtual learning environment
- circulated to your current students and graduates
Option 2.Standard Employability package - £1,000
Our 'budget' option includes the following areas (detailed above)...
- Your placements and supporting areas
- Access to student visits through AA2A's Engage membership group
- AA2A standard digital pack 'Making it out there' (without local content)
Other optionsAA2A 'Mini' schemes
Smaller institutions with mainly FE provision, can apply to host a scheme with two artists, if they are in one of our priority areas. Costs vary according to package
Buying in Employability support without artists' placements
Discounts are available if purchasing two items together
- AA2A digital pack Making it out there - £250 (upgrade to include local information - £70)
- Self-employment presentation for students - £550 (optional evaluation - £50) plus travel
- Register for Self-employment session with AA2A Skype support - £300
* Enhanced package cost does not include advance booked second class rail travel from Sheffield which is payable by the host institution