I think this is my first post. Let me just explain. I live in Brighton, but will be doing my residency at Nottingham Trent University. So, logistically I will be going up every 2 month of a week.
Below is a summary of my thoughts after my first visit to the facilities. Thank you for the interest.
I was up in Nottingham last week and it was the first time I finally could get my hands on a scanner. I managed to scan 5 to 6 hours a day then my eyes started to go fuzzy, total scans 120-130, but I might have to re-scan them.
Highlight - I was pleased to mean Jean Baird, great photography lecturer.
On the whole, they were four intense days packed with lots of information.
Some notes for the next scanning session, I need to concentrate on effective work flow, consistent file size and what output I am looking for.
Initially I thought I might go for a big file size especially for the wardrobe pictures (which I would like 2x3m), so I could have them at the ready when needed. But it seems more practical to scan all images at a general 140-180mb, so I have a general size for all and when the occasion presents itself book a flex scanner to get detailed scans. Here are some examples of pictures scanned and problems I have had. They are coming up with strange moray lines, marks and a overall red cast.
This is something similar to Moray lines. not sure what I'm doing wrong.
Strange marks appear on the scan that are not on the negative like out of focus dust:
I'm still a bit confiused about what I'm doing. But it's always this way - very clear ideas until I have to actually do something and then I lose the plot.
I am going towards a good size exhibition. Time to think about ways of exhibiting
Anyway, on with the project, I'm scanning negatives that are part of my conversations project. I've got 3 different locations at the moment and bits and bobs from other places that I can maybe use in context.
Bank of Ideas
Alison was happy with the result and very encouraging. I find conversations with her are always inspiriting and meeting with the other artist is also always very productive.
Andrew came up with some great tips.
Talking to Alison I might have found a solution to the portraits I took of Fran in the RTH. Showing them as a sequence instead as of a singular image. Either using a grid or doing a Final Cut editing of the images so that one follow the other in different speeds, so to reiterate the idea of boredom, time and dialogue.