All site blogs

PILOT AA2A Exhibition

March 24, 2014 by Kayleigh Hill   Comments (0)

Let the experiment begin!

PILOT will showcase Plymouth University's AA2A resident artists from 24th -28th March. Come visit Roland Levinsky Building, Project Space 101 between 11am and 5pm, with a private view on Friday 28th, where you shall see works by myself, Lee McDonald, Tabatha Andrews, Sally Hall and Gabrielle Hoad.

In the run up to the AA2A show, I have become inspired by the props and playful presentations of Franz Erhard Walther. I wanted to use this opportunity to experiment with how to present my balaclavas and see what happens when I leave my audience to activate my work.
Bruce Nauman's use of instructions for Body Pressure has also influenced the way in which I have conducted my experiment.
On the right hand side of the suspended balaclava is a set of things to consider; 'Silence. Do not verbally communicate/Focus on where various parts of your body touch this person.' On the left hand side of the balaclava lies another set of things to consider; 'Speak. Discuss your feelings no matter how awkward this may be/Avoid all bodily contact with this person.'
Depending on where you are standing, this could get interesting...
And don't forget to take home your very-own-handmade-disposable-paper-balaclava to continue the experiment at home! You can even send me the photos at kayleighhillartist@gmail.com
Come and be part of the experiment.


Stone processing.

March 24, 2014 by Kathryn Poole   Comments (0)

, ,

I have processed the stone by byself and nothing went wrong so I would say I'm on track for the degree show now.

Exhibition Dates

March 23, 2014 by Lee McDonald   Comments (0)

show PILOT, Room 101 @PlymUni 24 March - 17 April 2014

Images or words?

March 20, 2014 by Chloe Hamill   Comments (0)

Sometime it is hard to know what to write in a blog, so thought this time I would just update you with some more images of my work! Enjoy. 

New Stone

March 20, 2014 by Kathryn Poole   Comments (0)


I am working on a new stone for my degree show, continuing with the composite monsters. After being tutored by Leighton I feel confident processing this stone independently. I have finished grinding the stone and have drew up the image to be processed today. Fingers crossed it goes well.

The half finished drawing:



I will post more pictures tomorrow with the processing results and hopefully a new print.


Pic of the Week: Sophie Foster, Northumbria University (plus 'Tip of the Week' and other news..)

March 19, 2014 by AA2A Info   Comments (0)

, , ,

Pic of the Week: Northumbria University's AA2A artist Sophie Foster's image from her drawing workshop with BA Fine Art 1st and 2nd Year students.

Sophie's workshop explored ways of using controlled and uncontrollable methods of mark making and expression. You can see more images from 'Chance and Control' as well as more of Sophie's work at http://aa2a.biz/pg/profile/sophief13

Tip of the Week: 'As well as being creative, be organised with your own administration.' Kate Dicker, Southampton Solent University (2012-2013) http://aa2a.biz/pg/profile/kated

Other news

We're excited to have launched the first few of our presentations promoting self-employment as both a career and lifestyle option. Wendy Mason, AA2A's National Director, has been travelling the country presenting to Fine Art and Design students going through the 'nuts and bolts' of self-employment and busting the myth that only the most self-motivated graduates go self-employed.

We've had some excellent feedback...

  • "Brilliant session. Great advice and has made me more confident to consider self-employment."
  • "Very interesting and full of useful information that I didn't know was available about becoming self-employed. Makes everything clear!"
  • "Thanks the tax information was the most helpful."


March 19, 2014 by Lee McDonald   Comments (0)

I am looking forward to seting up for the exibition on sunday. I just have to build some work for it now.


March 19, 2014 by Lee McDonald   Comments (0)

Here is a link to my web sight I have been working on during the AA2A