Pic of the Week: Wimbledon College of Art's AA2A artist Milly Peck's image from her February album 'Collage prints'.
You can see more of Milly's work at http:/
Tip of the Week: ‘Don’t be afraid to contact organisations directly that you would like to work with.’ Janine Goldsworthy, Staffordshire University (2012-2013) http:/
You can continue using Dotbiz as a current artist until September 2014. We'll email you nearer the time with details of how to continue your access. If you haven't yet started using the site, you can still document your project now - we have two online 'Dotbiz' tutorials to help you: 'Getting started' and 'Uploading images and blogging'.
Throughout the course of this residency, I've gradually been gathering components to build a 3D printer that will print porcelain objects. These parts have been arriving piecemeal over the course of the last few weeks as they have been winding their way from various Chinese manufacturers and, finally, almost all of the parts have arrived and I am ready to begin working on the machine in earnest. So, over the last couple of days in my studio, I have been assembling some of the electronics, specifically the power supply, control board and motors. My first priority has been to get the control board talking to the motors, so that I can see that the electronics are working. Here's a link to a short clip of the motors running. Creepy background sounds courtesy of Salad Fingers.
2 great 10 hour days at Plymouth College of Art, speaking with tutors and students, activating id cards, scanning sketchbooks, printing on silk, coffee, learning how to make vectors, watching laser cutting, time lapsing everything, paying extortionate Council Car Park charges, coffee and arranging to do it all again.
Over the last couple of days, I've been trying different ways of transferring the contours of a cardboard eggtray into a clay body, using standard white clay slip. Initially I tried dipping the tray into the slip and then (separately) pouring the slip over the cardboard surface (see previous post - images pending), and then I made a one-piece plaster mould as a test to see how much of the surface detail of the cardboard would transfer to the plaster. I poured in some slip, which I left to set over the weekend. The results of today's demoulding are documented below. Immediately as I began to take the mould apart, the clay, still damp (though now solid), started to reveal obvious cracks before pulling apart entirely. This was seemingly because I had waited too long before demoulding, causing the clay to dry-out and shrink in the mould. Initially this felt like a failure, until I started to look at the fragments and saw that they had something about them that made them potentially much more interesting than the coherent structure that I had conceived. These muddy forms seemed to reveal something of their terrain, of the earth from which the material was dug. Though these were formed from a commercially processed clay, they recalled my experience of digging clay directly from the ground and I am beginning to imagine some kind of coalesence of these two processes.