Today I will be bying parts for a new contraption. As well as going to the yard and main campus to chat to some students and see what they are up to.
I am also looking forward to planing and seting up some works for the up and coming exibitions with my felow plymouth AA2Aers.
Dates to folow.
I laid the clay out in the sun. It will later have to be rehydrated but first needs to be dried out so that it can better absord the water. As you can see by the images, it contains a lot of unwanted material that will need to be removed. After the clay had been sat out in the sun for a few hours, I put it into a large metal bowl and broke it up further into small lumps. It's still quite damp so it will have to sit in the shed for a few days before I can filter it.
We have been working on a pop-up exhibition over last few weeks. Amy Mountney, one of our AA2A artsists organised the event, and our artists and some of our college staff presented our work to start the project. The college students were then asked to submit work and set up their own exhibition in response. A great deal of interest was raised and the shop owners have asked us to extend the duration of the exhibition. The project has been a great success and hopes to be the begining of an ongoing initiative to colloborate and present artwork in Chelmsford.
We have a new Album of images and more information can be found on our facebook page: https:/
With a shovel and a couple of carrier bags I took a walk down to Sandwell Valley to have a go at digging some clay. I walked along the stream and found a slight clearing where the stream took a bend at the edge fo the golf course. This seamed a good spot to start digging and, almost immediately, I noticed a definite red clay seam in the bank, just above the level of the water. When I began to dig out the clay, I found that it contained quite a lot of organic matter, stones and other sedimentary material, but the clay itself seemed to have quite a good plasticity. I'm not sure how much of the extraneous material I can process out or how much actual clay will be left afterwards, or how useable it will be, but I filled a carrier bag and took it home to find out.
This month I have been busy marking final year dissertations and exploring ideas within my own practice. I have been researching the experiences of children in the cotton mills from the 1800s in Manchester and I am interested in stitching a list of names with the cotton and thread that ultimately led them to their deaths. I am still researching and experimenting with ideas, but will post some images from my sketchbooks soon.
On sunday I went to the Textile Antiques Fair, last year I won a busary from the Textile Society, so I went back to talk about how I spent the money. I also had a stand where I sold my 3D birds and drawings. Now I am back to making many more for an exhibiton I have in a months time!
Pic of the Week: University of Derby's AA2A artist Henrietta Corbett's image from her album 'New collographs'.
Painter/printmaker Henrietta has just been selected for for the international print fair 'Printfest' featuring artists from the UK and abroad. You can see more of Henrietta's work at http:/
When I started this project last year I thought I was going to use carving to make prints, but then chance conversations with Martin Leedham, the print technician at Derby, and Henrietta Corbett, one of the other AA2A artists at Derby, have led me into experimenting in other ways.
For the last few weeks I've been making prints of a tree trunk I had sawn into slices in the workshop.
Tim Croft and I recently projected a performance in Baltic 39 as part of their RIFF/T exhibition. A brief video on the event is above. More to follow when we've decided who we're going to document the performance in full...